If you face any crime like felony, misdemeanor, or traffic violation, you should secure yourself a criminal defense attorney to help reduce or dismiss your charges. Finding a lawyer for criminal defense is very challenging especially when you don’t know one. Additionally, you don’t have much time to hire a lawyer. A lawyer is the one to investigate and attend hearings regarding your case. But, how do you find the right lawyer?
What Should You Look for a Criminal Defense Attorney?
There are different ways for you to get names of reliable lawyers. If you have hired a lawyer in the past, you may ask him if he know a criminal defense attorney, either a friend or a colleague. You can also contact your family and friends who had used a lawyer service before. They can recommend to you good lawyers who can help you with your case. You can even conduct your research online. The internet can sure give you ample information you need to locate a good lawyer.
Though you don’t have enough time to do your research, there are some key areas that you should focus on.
1. Experience – When you hire a lawyer, it is essential that you first check on his experience, especially in handling case like yours. Take note that the laws and procedures of criminal defense cases are not similar to civil cases. So, you need one who has a good amount of understanding and experience on such laws.
2. Local – It is recommended to choose a local attorney who has maintains good relation with the prosecutors and judges. These people can be involved in your case who is very familiar with local court procedures.
3. Reputation – You need a lawyer who has a good record of success in taking cases to the court and negotiating plea agreements. Although there are cases that can be resolved in plea bargain, there are also some that reaches the court. Thorough investigation is very necessary and your lawyer must be fearless in the court. He must always have your best interest.
4. Communication – You have to face it, you may not have a clear understanding regarding your case. So, you need a lawyer who is willing to discuss the matter with you in a way you would understand. Choose a lawyer who displays a high level of trust and confidence. You can determine this by conducting an interview to few of them. The way they communicate with you helps you determine which one is the best for you.
5. Charges – While the fees of the lawyer should not be your main concern when selecting a lawyer, the amount you are going to pay for them is essential to consider. Make sure to ask how much they are going to charge you before deciding to hire a lawyer.
It is never easy to find the right lawyer for your criminal defense case, but it will be better to use these key areas in finding the right legal help for you.